Friday, October 15, 2010

This segment is a little out of order. I got excited about introducing you to some of the "Ch*d Team" members. So pardon me while we back track a couple of days....

Our flight from Paris to NDjamena was uneventful. The airport experience in NDjemena was ..... eventful. It was dark when we arrived, so I couldn't really see or take in all the surroundings. When we got off the airplane, we were bussed to the terminal. There we stood in line waiting for our passports to be processed. I have to admit to being more than just a little nervous about the process. These people did not look friendly. Baggage claim was interesting also. It was chaotic and all I remember is that 2 boys were fighting over my bag and I quite frankly was happy to carry it myself. I realized later that they were just fighting over who was going to get the tip from the m*ssionary that "hired" them to get our luggage. The whole airport experience was overwhelming. It was my first "real" test of relying on G*d and giving my fear of the unknown to him.

Despite how overwhelming it seemed at the time, a little quiet time, and a good night's sleep put it all into perspective. As I was falling asleep that night at the guest house, I was reminded of Dave's words - "when you are in the will of G*d, you have nothing to fear." I also recalled some words of another friend from along time ago - "sometimes G*d lets you and me struggle until we recognize our dependence on Him. In so doing, He give our faith an opportunity to grow and mature." No sooner had I finished pr*ying that night and I realized with excitement and anticipation that I was finally in Ch*d!
With all those thoughts running through my head it was no surprise I slept well.


The next morning, we had to "register" with the police. So we filled out forms, complete with a picture for them to keep on file. We had donuts for breakfast - I decided I liked it here. It turned out that this would not be the last time we had donuts for breakfast.



On the drive from NDjamena to Moundou we began to realize we were no longer in our comfort zone. Did I mention that the temperature was hovering over 100 degrees?



It was interesting to see the different "architectural" techniques used in each of the villages as we traveled the 6 hours through the dessert.


I learned that in some village the houses are round because they believe that the sp*rits live in the corners.








As we travelled farther south, things started to look more green. Go ahead, compare the two pictures. There really is more green in this picture than in the first one! Really, I mean it! Sometime pictures just don't tell the whole story....


Thankfully as we saw more bushes, they were also bigger, making it easier for our "rest area" breaks.











The Carvers home, the m*isson office, and the guest house are located in a very nice "consession" that allows for privacy. We enjoyed the comforts of home in the guest house seen below. The courtyard area in the middle separates the 4 guest house rooms on the right from the Classroom and kitchenette on the left.












The courtyard area in the middle separates the 4 guest house rooms on the right from the classroom and kitchenette building located on the left of this picture.






Later that evening we gathered in Kirk and Kay's living room and met the rest of the "Team." Beate, Karina, Mattias and his family including Susan the home school teacher for their daughter. They are all awesome. Their passion is contagious.
We heard the stories of how G*d called them to Ch*d, we heard about the work they were doing and their "dreams" for what they would like to see happen in their work there.
If there was one thing we (the Bath team) were able to do that night it was show them that our ch*rch was ready to stand behind them. We were here to support them by sending help, providing financial support and pr*ying.
In my journal that night I wrote - "I know that I have a new sense of what J*sus was refering to in Matt 9:32. "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few." How do we fulfill the Great Commission if no one is willing to go into the world - especially a world where people have little or no access to the Good News of J*sus unless WE tell them and show them!

No comments:

Post a Comment